Partner, Head of RCT Abuse Law
Sexual And Institutional Abuse
Penny is a Partner of the firm who has been practising law for almost 20 years.
Since 2014, Penny has headed up our Abuse Law department and has fought for and won redress for hundreds of clients who were abused as children in State care, private and State schools and in religious and other institutions.
Penny’s keen interest in this area is underscored by her support of abuse advocacy groups and her membership of the Board of Directors of the In Good Faith Foundation. She has also contributed to submissions to the Victorian Inquiry into the Handling of Child Abuse by Religious and Other Organisations and to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. Before its introduction, Penny appeared before the Senate Standing Committee on Community Affairs into the National Redress Scheme and argued the scheme should be broadened.
As an acknowledged expert in abuse law, Penny has presented external seminars to lawyers, community legal centres and abuse survivors, as well as appeared on television, the radio and in the print media regarding abuse law.
Penny has also practised in the areas of employment law and superannuation law. Penny is also a member of the University of Melbourne Law School’s Centre for Employment and Labour Relations Law (CELRL) Advisory Board.
Over the years, Penny has volunteered with a number of Community Legal Centres and co-presented the 'Done By Law' radio show on 3CR community radio.
She is passionate about social justice, the outdoors and her pet chickens.
Achievements & Memberships
- 2002 - Present Law Institute of Victoria Member
- 2009 - Present Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Employment and Workplace Relations Sub-Committee Member
- 2014 – Present University of Melbourne Law School Centre for Employment and Labour Relations Law (CELRL) Advisory Board Member
- 2012 – 2014 Commission of Inquiry Now (COIN) Member
- 2012 – 2013 Fair Work Commission Legal Profession Reference Group Member
- 2004 - 2009 LIV Discrimination Law Sub-Committee member
- 2002 - 2009 Asylum Seekers Resource Centre Volunteer
- 2001 Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
- 2001 Bachelor of Arts
- 2012 - Present Partner, RCT
- 2003 - 2012 Lawyer, Associate, Senior Associate, RCT
- 2002 - 2003 Articled Clerk, RCT