Sexual And Institutional Abuse
Penny is a Partner of the firm who has been practising law for more than 15 years. She has practised in the areas of employment law, superannuation and personal injury Law. Since 2014, Penny has headed up our sexual and institutional abuse department and has ought for and won redress for hundreds of clients who were abused as children while in State care, foster care, or in religious and other institutions. Her keen interest in this area is underscored by her support of advocacy groups such as the Care Leavers Australia Network (CLAN). She also contributed to sumissions to the Victorian Inquiry into the Handling of Child Abuse by Religious and Other Organisations and to the Royal Commission into Institutional Respoonses to Child Sexual Abuse.
In employment law, Penny has acted for individuals and unions on a wide range of matters including termination of employment, general protections claims, and Award and employment contract breaches. As an acknowledged expert on these topics, she has been a frequent presenter of seminars on bullying and industrial relations.
Penny is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria’s Committee on Employment and Industrial Law, and a member of the University of Melbourne Law School’s Centre for Employment and Labour Relations Law (CELRL) Advisory Board.
Over the years, Penny has volunteered with a number of Community Legal Centres and co-presented the 'Done By Law' radio show on 3CR community radio.
She is passionate about travel, languages and the outdoors.
Achievements & Memberships
- 2002 - Present Law Institute of Victoria Member
- 2009 - Present Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Employment and Workplace Relations Sub-Committee Member
- 2014 – Present University of Melbourne Law School Centre for Employment and Labour Relations Law (CELRL) Advisory Board Member
- 2012 – 2014 Commission of Inquiry Now (COIN) Member
- 2012 – 2013 Fair Work Commission Legal Profession Reference Group Member
- 2004 - 2009 LIV Discrimination Law Sub-Committee member
- 2002 - 2009 Asylum Seekers Resource Centre Volunteer
- 2001 Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
- 2001 Bachelor of Arts
- 2012 - Present Partner, RCT
- 2003 - 2012 Lawyer, Associate, Senior Associate, RCT
- 2002 - 2003 Articled Clerk, RCT