Don’t be embarrassed to ask about legal fees
We encourage everyone to ask a law firm up front: How much is this going cost me?
After your first interview with a lawyer, you should understand exactly how you will be charged.
Keep on asking the tough questions until you are clear about legal fees and all the other expenses* that can add up. And don’t be embarrassed. We won’t be.
The five must-ask questions about fees
- How will I be charged? On a scale set by the Courts, or by an hourly rate?
- Do you charge a percentage of my total claim, or for work actually done?
- When will you start charging me? From our first meeting, or from when I agree work to start?
- How much will be recovered from an opposing party?
- If I lose, I won’t have to pay your fees, but will I have to pay your expenses?*
*Expenses, sometimes referred to as "disbursements" or "out-of-pocket costs", include those costs which your lawyer must pay to other parties on your behalf to run your case and include items such as fees charged by your doctor to provide medical reports, filing fees paid to the Court and barristers' fees.