Call 1300 366 441 for a free first interview. Ask about our No Win No Fee OR Expenses* fee policy.

How to make a WorkCover claim

How to make a claim if you are injured at work

  1. Report your injury. If you don't do this within 30 days, you may forfeit your cover.
  2. Lodge your WorkCover claim with your employer. (You will need a WorkCover medical certificate from your doctor, not your employer’s.)
  3. The WorkCover insurer will review your claim.
  4. If your claim is accepted, you should get weekly payments and medical expenses paid immediately.
  5. If claiming for a lump sum payment, call an experience WorkCover injury lawyer.

How to maximise your WorkCover payments

When filling in your WorkCover form, make sure you put down the right information on the claim form including your correct rate of pay and add your shift penalties and allowances as well as any earnings from other employment you had at the time of injury.

If you're uncertain then you should speak to your employer and make sure that the information is properly recorded on the claim forms. Don't just enter your ordinary time rate of pay because there is provision to add on your shift penalties and allowances. Again, if you're uncertain you need to check with the employer.

You also need to make sure that you’re being paid at the correct rate on the basis that the pre-injury average weekly earnings are being properly calculated, including shift penalties and allowances, and that this information is properly recorded in the claim form. This will maximise your weekly payments of compensation.

How do I maximise my WorkCover payments?

To ensure you maximise the WorkCover payments you are entitled to under law, it is important to document the facts about the injury and your circumstances, and also to investigate whether you are eligible for a lump sum compensation payment.

How are WorkCover benefits calculated?

Calculating WorkCover benefits can be tricky. There are some pitfalls, like when you choose to attend medical appointments.

What types of injuries are covered by WorkCover?

These are some of the types of injuries covered by WorkCover and for which you may be entitled to compensation for.

  • muscular injuries
  • back injuries
  • head injuries
  • RSI injuries
  • industrial deafness 
  • asbestos and respiratory conditions
  • construction site injuries
  • toxic chemical injuries
  • burn injuries
  • lifting injuries 
  • office-related injuries
  • permanent injury
  • psychological injury

If you or a loved one has suffered any of the above types of injuries at work, you will be entitled to medical and like expenses, plus income replacement benefits.

Psychological injuries

Psychological injury claims can be pursued through WorkCover, but claiming compensation has distinct challenges. Being stressed at work, as difficult as that may be, may not be enough to have your WorkCover claim accepted. You must show you have a recognised psychological injury that is caused by work and, to claim weekly payments, prevents you from working.

Lump sum WorkCover compensation

If your injury is more serious and results in a permanent impairment, you may also be eligible to claim a lump sum impairment amount from WorkCover.

Common law WorkCover compensation

If it can be shown that negligence on the part of the employer was a factor in your injury, you may also be able to pursue a claim for Common Law compensation.

Call 1300 366 441 or find us at an office near you for free advice on WorkCover and workplace injury claims.

Related Content

Call 1300 366 441 to be connected to your nearest office, find an office near you on our office locations map, or email us using the form below and we will contact you on the same or next business day.

* Required Field