Call 1300 366 441 for a free first interview. Ask about our No Win No Fee OR Expenses* fee policy.

Richard Derks

Published: 19 June 2019
Author: Richard Derks and Linda Le

Pedestrians and TAC compensation for road-related injuries

Are you a pedestrian who has been injured? And are you eligible for a TAC claim? Put simply, YES.

This blog explains whether you might be eligible for compensation and what form this may take.

If you are an injured pedestrian take action today. It is important to quickly:

  • Report the accident to the Police
  • Lodge a claim with TAC
  • Obtain a medical certificate on the required TAC form from the hospital you were admitted to or your treating doctor.

Delay could very well mean that you miss out altogether on financial compensation and reimbursements on any medical expenses.

We recommend that you contact us immediately due to the strict time limits.

How common are pedestrian injuries?

Crash statistics released by VicRoads reveal that in 2018 alone, 929 pedestrians were involved in crashes on Victorian Roads. Of these, only 35 escaped without injury.

Data released by the TAC reveals that the most common types of crashes resulting in pedestrian deaths involved pedestrians crossing the road. Also common were crashes involving pedestrians playing, working, lying or standing on carriageways.

Pedestrians are typically very vulnerable to injuries and there are a range of factors that may ultimately determine the severity of an injury including, but not limited to: the driver’s speed at impact, the type of vehicle, the pedestrian’s age and health.

The most common injuries sustained in pedestrian accidents are: head trauma, internal injuries (rib fractures, brain bleeds, internal bleeding), pelvic injuries and back injuries. In some cases, pedestrian crashes may lead to pedestrian deaths with more than 400 pedestrians having lost their lives on Victorian roads in the last ten years alone.

Available compensation

If your TAC claim is successful, you are entitled to claim compensation for:

  • Income support
  • Reasonable medical and rehabilitation expenses
  • Impairment benefits if you have an impairment of 11% or more
  • Pain and suffering if you have a serious injury by way of consequences or by having a whole person impairment of 30% or greater and another party is at fault
  • Loss of earnings at common law if you have a serious injury and another party is at fault.

What can we do for you?

We can help you take action. We can fight on your behalf. We can support you through this difficult time. We can get you a result.

It is important that you obtain legal advice from an expert road injury compensation lawyer like RCT Law to ensure that your claim is correctly assessed by TAC and your appropriately compensated.

RCT Law has expert road injury compensation lawyers at office locations across Victoria to ensure that you are properly advised and covered. If you would like to speak with one of our experienced TAC solicitors for a no obligation and cost-free appointment at one of our 18 offices across Victoria, please call us on 1300 366 441.

Categories TAC, Road injury, Pedestrians

Related News & Articles

Call 1300 366 441 to be connected to your nearest office, find an office near you on our office locations map, or email us using the form below and we will contact you on the same or next business day.

* Required Field