Call 1300 366 441 for a free first interview. Ask about our No Win No Fee OR Expenses* fee policy.

Published: 25 February 2016
Author: Ryan Carlisle Thomas

Are you on WorkCover? 10 things you MUST know: #5

What medical costs will WorkCover pay for?

If you are injured at work, it is vital to ensure that you are getting the appropriate treatment to give you the best chance at a swift recovery and hopefully a return to work. 

You shouldn’t have to bear the cost of this treatment - this is why we have a WorkCover scheme!

As such, you should claim all the treatment you require as a result of your work injury through your employer’s WorkCover Agent, Allianz, CGU, QBE, Gallagher Bassett Services, X-changing, or the Self-Insurer.

You can claim treatment by requesting your practitioner bill the employer or WorkCover agent directly or by sending your invoices and receipts through to your claims manager. Always keep copies of any receipts sent to the WorkCover agent as, unfortunately, receipts have been known to go astray.

Remember, it is not just general practitioner, specialist and other medical attendances you can claim. You are also able to claim medications, travel expenses, aids and appliances, attendant care and home help, gym and swim programs and even in appropriate circumstances child care expenses. If you require the expense as a result of your injury, and it is reasonable, it may be claimable.

Below is a link to the WorkSafe website outlining expenses which may be claimed.

You should note that some treatment requires prior approval from the WorkCover agent. If this is the case, you should speak with your GP about submitting a request in writing.

If you disagree with a decision by the WorkCover agent to deny liability for treatment you can contest the decision by referring the matter to conciliation. See our previous article “You can challenge a WorkCover insurer’s decision”.

If you are ever unsure about your entitlements, seek legal advice.

Previous:You can choose your own doctor for WorkCover treatment
Next: Getting paid for time off work - getting the right amount?

If you're concerned about your WorkCover rights, call 1300 366 441 or find us at an office near you for free advice on WorkCover claims, or download our WorkCover brochure

Related News & Articles

Call 1300 366 441 to be connected to your nearest office, find an office near you on our office locations map, or email us using the form below and we will contact you on the same or next business day.

* Required Field